Monday, May 25, 2015

Know where your sales horses are going.......


             It seemed like such a good idea in the beginning, compile a list of "Kill Buyers" and make it available to concerned sellers. I found numerous lists all over the internet on facebook, blogs and rescue sites. I began entering the raw data into a searchable table in hopes that it would benefit our community. Many of the lists were in image files that I had to convert to text using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) in order to capture the data. Most of the people listed were from other states and predominantly from the midwest to southwest, even Canada and Mexico. I only saw one who operates out of Florida. Then I began receiving suggestions from many of the group members whom I informed I would need to make sure anyone I added to the list was confirmed. When I ran into a friends name who runs a legitimate rescue I began to have second thoughts. Others posted that it would not be fair to label anyone a Kill Buyer without absolute proof. Well I had to agree, obviously there is some back biting and finger pointing going on out there. So I want to tell you this, if you are concerned about where your animals are going, check things out carefully. Ask for references, visit the site, write an agreement and google the purchasers/adoptors. Use the group as a resource to vet your buyers. One way to avoid sending horses to slaughter is to place a price greater than the value per pound. Enough said, however, I want you to know that the intention of this site is to prevent horses and ponies from ending up in bad circumstances. This I will continue to do.

Brad Mentzer

No comments:

Post a Comment